- Choose a character and write a COMPLETE characterization of him or her. What do others say about the character? What do the character's soliloquies reveal about him or her? How do the character's actions provide insight? Who is this character's foil and why?
- Polonius is Claudius assistant and the father of Laertes and Ophelia. On page 31-33, Ophelia tells her father that Hamlet is acting weird and she thinks he is heartbroken. Polonius thinks the same and they both think that he is gone mad because Ophelia broke up with him. As she tells more of her story, he tells her he is going to be discreet about it, but the King must know. This is very weird because he just said he will keep it a secret, but he just goes to the King and tells him everything she told him. This let me figure out that Polonius does not follow his words and disobeys them often. Polonius is very strict to his daughter regarding her relationships and basically her life. He spies on his son when he was the one who sent him to France in the first place. He always talk around his point and never really engages it in the beginning. He is very aware of his surroundings and always want the favor of others. For example, he spies on Laertes because he cares or he is watching his son's actions that might affect his reputation. As far I know, he is conniving and a strange old man. Polonius foil is Hamlet because they both act quickly and irrationally. Hamlet finds out that Claudius kills his father, so he is gonna avenge his father's death by acting crazy. Polonius assumes Hamlet has home mad because Ophelia broke up with him. Polonius talks way too much and never get to his point. Hamlet makes decisions and thinks through it, but not all the time. Therefore, they are so similar but yet so different to each other.
-Pretend that you are an actor preparing to play the scene. What would your motivations be? What would you focus on? What would your delivery emphasize? Journal your specific thoughts on your ideas and preparation?
- I would be Ophelia and act the scene where she rushes to her father, Polonius, to tell him about Hamlet's "weird" actions. My motivations would be delivering my lines perfectly and without mistakes. I would also be thinking about if I do great in this scene I might become big and be noticed. My focus is to let the audience know I feel terrified without making them question my emotion. It would emphasize fear because Ophelia rushes to her father that Hamlet is acting a bit odd and his actions are strange. When I'm about to go on, I should breathe first, drink some water, then shoot my scene. I would think about times when I was afraid and put fear in my eyes. Also I need to remember not to overreact my lines or else it will sound fake. I should hold on to Polonius arms to show that I need support since I'm so surprised of Hamlet's actions. Therefore, I should get a full 8 hours of sleep or more, drink lots of water, and practice my lines over and over again.
-“Talk” to one or more of the characters in the scene a question. Brow-beat them if you wish. Or support their actions or choices. Challenge them. Yell at them. Comfort them. Keep in mind their station (they are royalty) so gauge your language accordingly.
---" aye, my lord Hamlet. I have heard the rumors going around that you have gone mad. My lord, is that true? What's wrong? Is everything alright? My ears are here to listen to your thoughts. I am always available for you to rant to and here to listen to your problems. You know where you can find me my lord when you decide to speak your mind. I'll see you around. "
You say: "Polonius foil is Hamlet because they both act quickly and irrationally". However, a foil character is one who has OPPOSITE traits of the protagonist...
ReplyDeleteI like your thoughts on preparing for the role of Ophelia:).